Japanese fish delicacies are as beautiful as they are tasty.
Sashimi, raw fish, is gaining in popularity around the world. Often served alongside sushi and tempura, it's one of the very few animal products that can be a part of a non-vegetarian raw foods diet.
The most common fish used in sashimi are tuna, salmon, mackerel, and yellowfin, but the key is freshness, so just about any locally available fish may be used.
But what happens when good sashimi goes bad?
For the man who went to Guangzhou No. 8 People's Hospital in Guangdong Province in eastern China, it resulted in a stomach ache and itching.
Probably as a result of poor sanitation, some of the raw fish was contaminated.
The x-rays revealed that the man was infested with tapeworms and tapeworm larvae.
Tapeworm larvae are usually found in freshwater fish. Eating raw or undercooked fish can transmit the parasite.
Eventually the parasite can cause cysticercosis, where the adult worms enter the bloodstream. That type of infection is life threatening when it reaches the brain.
By the time this victim entered the hospital, the larvae had spread throughout his entire body.
The man is expected to survive the ordeal, and although he had a record number of larvae infesting his body. However, he didn't beat Sally Mae Wallace's record tapeworm. Sally, from Great Grits, Mississippi had a 37' tapeworm removed while completely conscious. But we're pretty sure the Chinese gentleman could beat the record if the larvae were all laid end to end.