A couple of people hiking in Phoenix, Arizona heard whimpering sounds coming from the area of a nearby cholla cactus.
They discovered an eight week old Yorkshire Terrier mix.
After alerting the Arizona Humane Society they started removing the cactus spines.
“By the time we arrived on scene, the good Samaritans had actually removed him from the cactus and also removed about a five gallon bucket worth of spines,” Said Arizona Humane Society spokesperson Bretta Nelson.
He was taken to the AHS Second Chance Hospital where vets spent several hours removing the rest of the barbed spines.
The friendly puppy didn’t appear overly distressed by his situation, and was reportedly wagging his tail as the staff attended to him.
Cactus Jack, as he was named, is not expected to suffer any permanent injuries and is getting medication to prevent infection. He will be available for adoption soon.
It still doesn’t look as scary as Dog vs. Porcupine.
The American Pit Bull Terrier is often maligned, and has even been banned in some localities. They are fiercely loyal, loving dogs when raised properly, but the popularity of the breed means that there are a lot of neglected pit bulls of dubious parentage.
They have a bad reputation just because they eat an occasional baby.
But you’ll never convince the Fronteras, from Barangay Lapasan in the northern Philippines. Their pitbull, Chief, is a hero. In Tagalog, one of the languages spoken in the northern Philippines, the word “kuya” refers to an honored older person, like a big brother or respected family friend. The Fronteras children treated Chief like a member of the family and called the dog “Kuya Chief”.
He saved 87-year-old Liberata la Victoria and her granddaughter Maria Victoria Fronteras after a cobra entered through an opening in the family’s kitchen shortly around 8 a.m.
“The snake was in front of us., maneuvering a deadly attack,” Sabelita quoted Maria Victoria as saying. “I screamed out loud to ask for help.”
Hearing this, the four-year old pit bull terrier dashed from its sleeping area to fight off the deadly snake, said Sabelita quoting Maria Victoria.
The cobra fought back and bit Chief at the lower left portion of the jaw. The dog then repeatedly slammed the cobra after it succeeded in immobilizing the snake with its sharp teeth, she said.
Dela Rama said la Victoria was watching television when she panicked and alerted her granddaughter. The old lady said the cobra was about to attack her and the dog came to her rescue.
Maria Victoria said she saw the cobra expand its neck as soon as she turned the lights on. She said the cobra looked like it was spitting as its inched closer, about a meter away, toward her.
De la Rama said the terrier, “out of nowhere,” jumped on the cobra , bit it the neck, and then shook it till it died.
Moments later, the dog slouched flat and fainted, spreading its arms and feet on the floor, after killing the killer snake.
De la Rama said the dog went wobbly and lost control of its organs some 30 minutes after being bitten by the cobra; it started to urinate and defecate uncontrollably as it grasped for air and panted heavily.
The Fronterases sought the help of veterinarian but they were reportedly told that it was too late because the snake bite was near the dog’s brain and the venom had already spread.
Sabilita said Marlone rushed home when his wife called him up to tell him of what had happened and the dog’s master was stunned.
The Fronteras children were deeply affected according to Sabelita.
The last thing Chief did was wag his tail and gaze at Marlone who had just come from work, said Sabelita.
“Chief gave his two deep breaths and died. He was fighting and saving his last ounces of breath to see a glimpse of his master for the last two seconds of his life,” added dela Rama.